Saturday, October 12, 2019

How to sow seeds

Seeds, seeds, seeds everywhere (literally). Finally, after so many months, I’m back in the garden. I started later than usual this year, but I finally got to it. And of course I started with my favorite: tomatoes. I enjoyed working in the garden today. That feeling of the seeds in my hands, the texture of the soil through my fingers (I recommend you use gloves, but I just can’t help it), the smell of the garden, the sounds of the birds, and the sight of seeds, the calmness, it all brings me inner peace. I feel so good and energetic when I work in the garden. Early afternoon was still hot, but later the weather was perfect for working outside. 

Today I’d like to talk about and show you how to sow seeds. Lots of times beginners have no idea how to sow their seeds, and it’s one of the reason of a failed attempt. Sowing seeds is easy if you know how to do it correctly. There’s nothing hard about it, I promise, but you have to follow some basic rules and steps. So if you’re new, or have failed before, read on. 


I wrote a blog post about starting seeds before, and you may want to read that before starting your seeds:   
That post gives you general guidelines, whereas today I’m showing “HOW” to sow the seeds part. 

So let’s get started:

1. Get your plant markers and seeds ready. I prepare my plant markers at home first. I usually use wooden craft sticks cuz I can compost them later, but today I used these plastic ones I had from before. I use a water resistant permanent marker to write the plant and variety. I usually write the date in my journal. I also have a tray ready (you’ll see later why).



2.  Moisten your seed starting soil mix (the post above talks about what mix to use) and put it into your planting containers (aka yogurt containers, plastic cups, or whatever you’re using to start your seeds), and press lightly. NEVER, I repeat, NEVER start with a dry mix.


3. Once you put the soil into your planting containers water the mix again. The soil may settle after this initial watering, so make sure to fill up any spots where soil level has reduced. Don’t soak it wet though.  


4. Place your markers. Always mark you seeds, especially if you’re growing a few different varieties, cuz you really don’t want to be guessing when planting them out. 




5. Make holes for the seeds. As a general rule you plant your seeds about 2x their size. For smaller seeds I simply create a slight indentation with my fingertips. For larger seeds I use a
blunt object to make the holes. Do not use sharp objects cuz your seeds can drop to the bottom of the container and never sprout.









6. At this point I put the seed packets that I’m going to be planting on a tray.





7. Next is the sowing step. Put your seeds in the prepared hole. Put two seeds in. If the seeds are old or are known to be hard to germinate put in three or even four. I put one type/variety at a time.














8. Now cover the seed with soil and press gently (very gently). Some seeds don’t need to be covered as they need light to germinate, but most need to be covered.



9. Now put away the seed packet that you just planted. I put them back in the box in which I store them in. This way you don’t get confused. The ones in the box I have already planted, the ones in the tray are still to be planted.





10. When you finish planting all the seeds, water them gently (very gently, you don’t want to wash them away) or spray them with water.








Congratulations!!! You’re done planting your seeds.

To know how to care for your seeds after planting check my post How to Start Your Seeds and Not Kill the Seedlings 
How to Start Your Seeds and Not Kill the Seedlings 

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for so detailed overview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helpful and informative post.
    check my post
    Chromebooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. traveling in Dubai is so easy because inside the city public transport available on every attraction of the UAE moreover many rental companies providing a car rental monthly services one of the best rent a car Dubai company is bab al amdeena rent a car
    rent a car dubai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. It was very helpful. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was more than happy to uncover this great site. I need to to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to see new information on your blog.
    GRAPHIC DESIGNING SERVICES IN LAHORE

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was more than happy to uncover this great site. I need to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!!
    I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to see new information on your blog.
    Freelance Marketplace WordPress Theme

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was more than happy to uncover this great site. I need to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!!
    I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to see new information on your blog.
    classified WordPress theme

    ReplyDelete

  8. I was more than happy to uncover this great site. I need to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!!
    I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to see new information on your blog.
    WordPress Chat Plugin

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have provided over $1 Billion in business loans to over 15,000 business owners just like you. We use our own designated risk technology to provide you with the right business loan so you can grow your business. Our services are fast and reliable, loans are approved within 48 hours of successful application. We offer loans from a minimum range of $5,000 to a maximum of $500 million. We are certified and your privacy is 100% safe with us. Worry no more about your loans or finances. Contact us today via standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com

    Get your instant loan approval

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy proud of you
    Good
    Thanks
    Nice
    Good work
    Movers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing best information I well share with my friends thank you
    best Movers in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting blog, keep posting

    Check out to know more!!

    https://www.latableevents.ae

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing valuable info about how to seed tomato tree . It really helpful to me

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and questions below