Saturday, May 13, 2017

A little update

OK I know I haven't posted this year a lot, especially on my blog. I really would have loved to but sometimes things get in the way. Nevertheless I am still gardening and still care about this blog. I really wish I could post a little more.
The gardening season was very weird this year and we had to "close" early and forfeit plans for summer garden (maybe next year Inshallah). Overall the garden didn't produce as much as last year but I still managed to freeze some carrots and beets, and pickle some cucumbers. We didn't buy any tomatoes,parsley, green onions, salads and leafy greens throughout the season as we had plenty to eat fresh. Our trees are growing and getting bigger.
Here are some pics for you.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Yana, your garden looks lovely and productive. I'm quite new to the UAE and was wondering if you know if there is anywhere I can buy straw mulch? I found one product on desertcart but it was over 600 dhs for one block... seems excessive! Nevertheless I would really like to find some mulch that will actually contribute to the soil structure as it breaks down (unlike the artifically coloured woodchips and pebbles that I've seen sold in garden centres here). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgia, thanks for stopping by. I get hay, haven't seen straw. Hay is more nutritious when it breaks down, compared to straw. I get mine from Khawaneej. It's 100 aed for a big bale (the last time I checked). It is huge and will last a while. The sellers have small trucks and will deliver it for a small fee.
      Dropped Pin
      near Al Khawaneej - Dubai
      https://goo.gl/maps/6FBRX5fBDPN2

      Delete
    2. I am on a new phone and having trouble sending out correct locations. If you go towards Khawaneej passing the Arabian Center it's easy. After Arabian Center there's a roundabout, go straight. Then there will be a smaller roundabout, you go straight and right away the trucks with hay will be by your right side, before the school. On the left there are shops and the last one has nice selection of seeds. To the right of the roundabout there are nice shops selling various things. I always visit them. To get to them you need to pass by the school and take the first right. The road will take you to service road (after the clinic), pass the first shops, and the shops I talk about are right after that.

      Delete

Please leave your comments and questions below