Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Solanum Nigrum edible thing in my garden

A couple of days ago I was taking a round in my garden and noticed a little plant in one of my flower pots. It had little green berries and I left it to see what it becomes. Today I checked on it and some berries are black already. I was worried that the kids would eat them and told them not to touch it. I was convinced it's poisonous but either my intuition or my curious nature wouldn't let me pull it. Off to search the Internet I went. I first posted on the Agriculture UAE group on facebook, link in this post, and then went searching. I came across this very cool site that describes UAE flora and fauna. Check it yourself Jewels of the UAE I scrolled through the pages and found what I thought was my plant but wasn't sure about it, whether it was the same plant (some plants do look, similar). It's scientific name is Solanum Nigrum (and has lots of common names, have a look at wikipedia).  While I was searching, Sisily, a lovely member and admin in the above mentioned group, replied to me. It's a plant called manathakkali and it's not a weed and it's edible and is actually very good for ulcers she said. Yay. I'm glad I didn't pull it. And now that it was confirmed that what I have is edible I was relieved. You can read more online cuz I don't know much about it yet myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and questions below