Tuesday, March 17, 2015

"Regrow It" aka "cut and come back"

There are perennials, annuals and biennials plants - in short plants that live for more than two years, plants that live for a year and plants that live for 2 years, respectively. In some parts of the world one can act like the other. For example eggplants are perennial  but is treated as annual in some climates.
Probably most things we grow in our kitchen garden are annuals or treated as such. But does that mean that once we harvest the plant it is done? It depends really. Do you know that there are plants that you can regrow or other wise treat as "cut and come back"? I had no idea this was possible and I was really skeptical about it at first. But guess what? It works. Today I'll write about plants from my own garden that I harvest over a period of time. Imortant: if you do this leave at least 2 inches of growth above ground, start harvesting early and preferably outer leaves. So here they go:

Lettuce
Most varieties suited for this treatment are lose leaf varieties but I have done this even with Romain lettuce. See the pic below.

Kai Lan
This Asian green is so tasty and you can just cut the stems and more will grow from that spot.

Rocket
I just keep harvesting the outer leaves. This is a heavy producer by the way. I just love it. You can even cook it. Another blog on the way?? Maybe maybe ;)

Chard
This one is probably meant to be harvested this way. It keep regrowing new leaves. Make sure you leave 2-3 leaves in the center each time you harvest.

Bok Choy
This is one of the best producers in my garden. Harvest outer leaves or cut the head leaving around 2 inches above the ground.

Curly Endive
I harvested them a few days ago and I can't believe they have grown already. Will probably do another harvest next week. I harvested the whole thing a couple of inches above ground.

Red Amaranth
I had harvested it and gave it to a friend. Next harvest I'd probably leave for myself.

Rapini - also known as broccoli raab or turnip tops. I'd read that they won't regrow but because I'm the person who won't believe it till they see it I had to see for myself. And guess what? It does regrow.

Beet and white radish greens - you may grow beets and white radish for their roots but or you can also grow it for their greens. Or you can do it for both (but then you wouldn't want to over harvest the greens).

Herbs
Parsley, basil, mint,coriander and dill respond to this treatment very well.

Keep in mind that with some plants like lettuce you'd want to replace the plants after 3-4 cuts or when they become bitter.

Other greens are also possible to grow this way, above mentioned is just my personal experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and questions below