Monday, March 23, 2015

Edibles - Radish Pods???

Do you grow radishes? Have you ever forgot to harvest one and it became too big and then maybe you cooked it? You may as well left some for too long and it started flowering and even producing pods.  Or you may be like me and grow white radishes with smooth leaves that you eat, we call this Ruwaid. This radish is very quick to produce flowers and pods. So either way these pods contain seeds. But even if you were to save the seeds it would be too many. I never had enough patience to harvest all the seeds and would simply cut the plants (note I said "cut" not "pull" cuz I leave the roots in the soil) and throw them into compost. Ok by now you may wonder what's gotten into me. Well in search of more edible things to grow I have come across something interesting. Turns out all parts of radishes are edible - roots, leaves and pods. The green pods can be cooked, pickled or eaten raw. Note some of the pods in my pics are already dry so you can't eat those.
More info here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and questions below