Saturday, January 10, 2015

Garden Surprises

So after I wrote the earlier blog post I went back to the garden to do some tending. As I was staking the cucumbers I stumbled upon something. I was very surprised as there wasn't any sign of it being there a mere few days ago. This is melon cucumber. It grew and in a container too. I tried them last year but didn't get any fruiting.
As I was cutting the dead leaves of courgettes my girls started screaming in excitement. When I heard them shout "ladybug" I honestly thought they misunderstood a few things. But to my surprise it was indeed a ladybug, pardon me "ladybugs" as we spotted at least 4 of them. It was exciting since my kids didn't see them here before.

When you stay away from your garden in a weekend lots of things happen in there. As I was near the cucumbers that are in the ground I noticed these deformed cucumbers. Which brings me to conclusion that I was failing in cucumbers because something must have been wrong with that seed pack or it was grown in the wrong time. I got the same results last year, but the cucumber I harvested today from the container grown plant was perfectly fine which was grown from a different pack and I replanted them a few times. Now I have to figure which was the cause: the seed pack or the planting time.

I also wanted to show you before that you don't really need to thin some veggies. Take a look at the radishes I grew. It came from a seedtape sold at tchibo. I didn't bother thinning them, just pick them as I need to and they're happy.

I may have mentioned that I'm growing rapini. I've been waiting for the blooms for a long time (well maybe not so long) and was anxious cuz I read that you need to harvest them the day they appear cuz if the flowers open up then you're too late. As I was beginning to think that it's all in vain and they won't set bloom that I spotted a tiny bloom. Of course I harvested it. There's another tinier one that I hope to harvest tomorrow. Now I don't know what to do with all the leaves. Gotta find out if they're worth cooking.

I am also including some other pics like marmande ttomatoes, beets, lettuce, kai lan,  today's harvest, how the garden looks like and white radish that is flowering already. Going to let it flower to attract pollinators.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and questions below