Sunday, December 14, 2014

Garden Update

With the exams, holidays and stuff I've been too busy to write anything but this didn't stop my garden from growing. The garden is slowly taking shape. I was expecting more but this is fine too. Here are a few pics.


The "21 day" radish. This didn't fail me this year as well. It's the best performer among the radishes. I didn't thin then but this didn't bother them at all and they're happy.


Another good performer this year, "bolognese" courgette. The seeds are by L'otolano brand. These were among the last planted but are the first to produce. Hope to have some in a few days. 


Butternut pumpkin. I replanted these twice and almost gave up thinking the seeds must have gone bad. I don't know what it was but it took off and is growing so fast. You can spot the "baby" pumpkins in the picture.
I still have to buy the support for them to climb to utilize vertical space.


Red amaranth is also a surprise, I didn't expect it to grow this fast. Have to plant more.


White radish. It was more vigorous last year but is still fast this year too. Some salads are in sight.


Beets. They are always among the first to appear. I am satisfied with their rate of growth so far. I love beets, both in Russian red soup called "Borsh" and in salads. And did I mention before how delicious the leaves are? You can use young leaves in salads and older ones like spinach.


Different types of carrots growing in this bed. They are bigger than in the picture. They're slow so I'm not expecting anything for the next few weeks.


Cucumbers are failing this year. There are 6 varieties here and none are doing well. Even the ones in containers are not growing. I will try to plant them in a different location. 

 
These are the cucumbers in containers, they just won't grow. (Don't mind the odd tomato there).


Red lettuce by lortolano. It's not so great but doing ok I'd say.


Tomatos in containers are finally taking off. 

 
Some onions (I have a few varieties growing here). In a week or so I'll thin them Indhallah and use the thinnings in salad. I find that sowing a few seeds per hole and then thinning leaving the strongest ones and using the rest in salads is not a waste at all this way. Non edible thinnings go into the compost.


Some sweet corn, and other things, growing in this batch. It was planted only about 3 weeks ago (see my previous post). 

There are more veggies growing and I'll try to take more pics. Gardening on the scale that I'm doing it at takes time and while I'm still busy planting things and taking care of the kids and the house I don't always have the time to take pics. 

Happy Gardening.




2 comments:

  1. So beautiful. Masha Allah. I wish I could have a garden like this at least in my balcony. But with young children, I almost never use it! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Faiza, I know it's hard work especially if you have small children. How about you try little things that you would actually like to use? Cherry tomatoes, rapini (turnip tops), chard, white radish, basil, radish, purslane, red amaranth and bok choy are some of the excellent choices that don't require much care and grow so fast (except basil which can start a little slow but once it gets going it's fast).
    This garden did take a lot of time in the beginning, for planning and setting up the beds and sowing the seeds, after that it's much easier.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and questions below