Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Garden is taking shape

I don't know whether it's the feeding, cow and chicken manure, or the fact that the weather is getting colder, that makes my garden grow so fast Mashallah. Things are growing bigger and what was empty beds are now greening up and soon will be full of green yummy goodness. We have eaten a few things already and they're delicious. I am growing 5 varieties of radish alone. One is a round one, it doesn't grow well except when it's cold, I'm growing it only cuz I still have the seeds from before. Long French type that grows really fast, this one is my favourite. Round one I got from tchibo (it was a part of a seed pack that also had spring onion and carrots, I was after the spring onion though). Another one I grow is a white variety, I'm growing it for it's leaves cuz other radishes have prickly leaves, and this one has smooth leaves, but roots are edible too. We call the leaves "ruwaid" and it's a must have green when we have fish, though it's a nice addition to any salad.
And there's a new variety I bought which is long type and scarlet red color. 
Here's a bunch of the French type

And here's a bunch of the white radish leaves 


And look, the butternut pumpkin vine had gone crazy, it grows bigger every day Mashallah. It's taking over the space where chard is growing, but chard is not bothered at all, I guess it's enjoying the shade, cuz this is a part of the garden that gets full sun all day long.


And here's rapini, which is also growing like crazy (the top of the picture shows white radish).


Bok choy has grown a lot too, I forgot to take the picture.

Over all I'm satisfied with the results so far. I was so worried that I'm behind schedule this year but the progress is very promising. Some of the tomatoes started flowering already (and one in the pot is fruiting already). Cucumbers started putting on some growth finally. Even the cabbages and broccoli with cauliflower that I'd thought were stunned started growing (I was about to pull them out and plant something else in that space). 
Will try to update as much as I can.

Happy Hardening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and questions below