Sunday, October 19, 2014

Another seed company

The first place we look for seeds is supermarket. Then garden centers. Then plant souks. Then probably online. And then? Well I thought that was it. It turns out it's not. Then there's agriculture supply shops. I stumbled across some in Khawaneej. And last week I found another one in Sharjah. This one is different because it doesn't carry the known brands and they has all seeds you can think of. But their prices are not cheap. The prices start at 10 dhs, not your average 5 dhs per packet we are used to, and go upwards of 40 dhs. They have like tiers of prices. Basically all the ones on the lower shelves are for 10 dhs. You can find same variety in different tiers. I asked what is the difference and the salesman explained that the more expensive ones are more disease resistant. I wasn't convinced convinced because I got scared it could be GMO. 
They even have berries and other fruits. I wasn't convinced apricots and blueberries would grow here. I ended up buying broccoli seeds, the one I grew last year didn't form big heads, and cucumber variety called Beit Alfa. The cucmber variety I bought is suppise to be suited for out climate. Let's see how it goes.

The shop is located in the building that is right after the plant souk in Sharjah (which is right opposite the fish market). 

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Do you have the name and number of the shop by chance, It would be of great help !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Zeinab, thanks for stopping by. Sadly I don't know the name or their phone number. Let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Looking at Gogle Maps I suppse this is thier number: 06-5691117

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and questions below